No criminal charges found in alleged sexual assault at WJU
The Ohio County Prosecuting Attorney's Office is not authorizing any criminal charges regarding the alleged sexual assault, which occurred at Wheeling Jesuit University (WJU) on Sept. 23, 2012.
Scott Smith, prosecuting attorney for Ohio County, W.Va. made the announcement Friday.
According to a news release from Smith, after thoroughly reviewing the detailed investigation performed by the Wheeling Police Department, the Prosecutor's Office determined there was not sufficient evidence to support criminal charges.
Wheeling police launched an investigation after a 20-year-old woman came forward saying she had been assaulted in a campus dorm room at WJU.
Deputy Police Chief Marty Kimball said the woman claimed she was sexually assaulted by five male students. She reported the assault to police a couple days after the alleged incident.
Police said the woman reported she had consensual sex with two of the men but claims at one point there were five men in the room and she was no longer consenting.
According to an undisclosed source the five students were dismissed from the university and the alleged victim, also a student of the university was dismissed as well.
When the incident was first made public, WJU President Richard Beyer said there is a specific process in place to address any issues brought by students.